PINTEREST

FB PIXEL CODE

CONVERSATIONS WITH MY 6-YEAR OLD

So I pick my 6-year old daughter up from school the other day and there is not a whole lot of conversation on the car ride home. I think to myself, what is it going to be like when she's a teenager if I am getting this silent treatment now? Let me start asking questions I think to myself. So, I ask, "How was your day?" "Fine," she says. "Anything cool happen at school?" "No," she whines. "What did you have for lunch?" "I don't remember," she claims. Okay, this is going nowhere, I think to myself. Then the inevitable whining of the afternoon begins. "Mommy, I'm hungry, Mommy, where are we going? Mommy I want to eat!" Agghhhh!! She's been in the car a total of 7 minutes and already I want to take her back to school.

Luckily, the car ride is not that long and we are home quickly. Right away, I tackle the fridge and look for some snacks for my hungry, cranky little monster. I find some Bagel Bites and a Sprite. "Here, drink," I say, as I hand her the Sprite. I figure, I can get some sugar in her until I make the Bagel Bites, so that her mood changes.

Bam! One, two, three sips of Sprite and I've got my little funny girl back! She burps, turns to me and says, "Mommy, I love when I burp through my nose because it gives my nose hairs a massage." I try to act real cool and say, "Oh yeah, that happens to me all the time." Then the conversation begins.

Somehow, it is not where I wanted the conversation to go. All of a sudden, I am the one getting the third degree. First she tells me how one of her little friends, kissed a boy and then I freak (internally of course.) Well, no, not really, I did yell, "What??" She retracts and says, "No, no I think I made a mistake." Yikes, again I think, how am I gonna deal with the teenage years?

So then, she sits on the counter to start having her snack, takes a bite and says, "Mommy, who did you go to prom with? Before I can even get the words out of my mouth, she says, "Oooh, who was it, that Manny guy? Handy Manny? (referring to my high school boyfriend.) Again, I can't even get another word out. I just nod, yes.

Then she says. "Was he cute? Was he hot? OKAY, WHOAAAA!!! Conversation STOP right there I think.  I'm like, where did you get all this? (Of course, I know the answer -every six year old now-a-days uses the terminology "he's hot" unless you live in like rural Nebraska (no offense to those in Nebraska!) Times have changed! I get no answer, just giggles.

"Okay, time to do homework," I say.. And so ends another wonderful afternoon of conversation with my six year old.

1 comment:

  1. My first visit to your blog - but definitely, not my last.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Stopping by the Mommy Warrior blog!
Visit on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/mommywarriorpage/