PINTEREST

FB PIXEL CODE

DID I ACTUALLY HAVE THE CORONAVIRUS?

After looking back and hearing all about the symptoms, it makes me wonder if I had Covid-19 or some mild version of it? I guess I will never really know, but what I do know, is that I felt the worst I have ever felt in my entire life.  Not even after brain surgery or kidney surgery did I feel this bad. 

Ever since I had my surgeries, I developed auto-immune disease and seem to be more susceptible to getting a cold, which I have had almost every year. However, this was different! It happened to me before there was any public conversation of Corona virus, tests or talk of quarantine.

It was in January 2020 and I had recently been visiting my Abuela (grandmother,) who was in the hospital. I was visiting her every day, until on the 4th day of her stay, I could not show up to visit her anymore, as I suddenly began to feel terrible.

I remember that I started to feel symptoms rather suddenly. I felt achy and felt weird, like I was definitely coming down with something. I had to call my Abuela and let her know I could not make it and I felt so bad because she was alone.  I tried to downplay what I was feeling, as to not worry her too much but she had her own issues to deal with at the time. 
I was home alone for the long weekend, (well, except for my teenage daughter, but if you have a teenager, you know they are barely ever around.) I was actually kinda psyched because I was going to have quiet/alone time for five days, but boy, did I get more than I bargained for! Sometimes, you really have to be careful what you wish for!
I do remember it started on a Thursday because my son and husband had gone out of town for a hockey tournament, as it was MLK weekend.

I recall having a headache, which I thought was odd since I hadn't had one in a long time, since I was taking CBD almost daily. By Friday, I already felt like I needed to be in bed.  I had a weak stomach too. I wondered what I had eaten that gave me the "runs." I thought maybe it could have been the cafeteria food I ate all week at the hospital, visiting my grandmother. Then all of sudden I felt like I had a full blown cold, my nose was stuffy and I couldn't breathe right.  I am usually very prepared with all my homeopathic tools when I get a cold, so immediately I grabbed by Vick's Vapor Rub to rub it on my chest and inhale it, but I could not smell a thing, even when I literally had it up my nose. Nothing.

I was not hungry at all but I knew better and forced myself to have some saltine crackers, which of course did not sit well because of my weak stomach.  I also knew I had to take care of myself because I certainly couldn't ask anyone to come over to help me, nor was I about to call my husband and have him cut my son's hockey tournament trip short. It was the end of the season and they were working towards the State Championship, but I digress. 
Anyway, I also made myself drink plenty of water and intermittently sipped on Gatorade. I have to say I felt persistent pain and aches all over my body, which made me want to just be in bed.

My daughter, who had been in and out of the house Thursday and Friday, stopping in to check on me, realized, I wasn't just resting.  I could tell she was concerned.  So much so, she actually called her father, and reported to him that I did not feel well and I didn't look well either. I remember telling her to stay away from me, so she would not get my germs.  However, as the weekend went on and I felt worse, her dad gave her instructions to come in sporadically and check on me and feel my head for temperature. (Note: I never, ever get a fever.)
However, by that Saturday, that statement was no longer true. I had been sleeping with a hoodie on and the covers up to my neck bathed in Vick's.  I was cold, very cold but then I started to feel flushed and really, really hot.  I managed to get up and make it to the bathroom closet to look for a thermometer but unfortunately, it was broken. (It just goes to show how often we must have used it!) But I just knew I had a fever. I could feel it. I will never be able to say exactly how high it went, but based on experience of many years passed, I would venture to say it was probably like 101 or 102, not exactly very high, but for me it was a very BIG deal because I hadn't had a fever in many years. I just figured my throat would start hurting soon or maybe my ear but those pains never happened. It was just a fever. As I looked at myself in the mirror, I could see my cheeks were flushed. I felt a weakness that I had no explanation for.  

What I recall is sleeping a lot and feeling sheer and utter exhaustion, like I could not get up. There were moments though, where I forced myself to and dragged myself out to actually walk our golden doodle (dog.) Actually, I kind of didn't have a choice because there were times when my daughter was not home. I dressed like an Eskimo when I went outside, as it was a little chilly outside (chilly by South Florida standards) but I had developed such a horrible cough, that I zipped up my hoodie like I was going out in the snow. I was so afraid of getting bronchitis or something because I sounded so bad when I coughed.

By Saturday late afternoon, my headache was gone but my cough was worse. I was also taking cough medicines and Mucinex, thinking it was a severe cold or maybe even the flu, and needed an expectorant, but nothing was helping.  Thankfully, I never took Advil (even before I heard the rumors that it is no good for Covd-19.)  I didn't take it because I only have one kidney and I am not really suppose to take any NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for pain. 
What really made me nervous was when I felt something weird in my breathing, like my chest was tightening. I didn't hesitate and went to get my son's nebulizer from the bathroom closet. (I visited that closet often that weekend!) Thankfully, there was a full un-opened package of Albuterol vials.  I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not but it helped me breathe! The most annoying symptom was that - the constant coughing without it being a productive cough. 

I would say that my worst days were Friday night through Sunday late afternoon. I felt like I could barely move and I was in a constant state of sleepiness. When I was awake, it was incessant coughing and choking feeling. Also, during the moments I was awake, I texted my aunt and my dad to let them know what I was going through (just in case!) 
I remember by Sunday afternoon, my daughter coming into my room again and telling me that I should go see a doctor.  I agreed and told her as soon as I could get the energy to get up and dressed I would.  I thought to myself that I would try to drive to the local urgent care by the next day.  
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

As Monday rolled around, I felt like I had "turned the corner" somewhat. I still had a bad cough but I didn't really have that feeling where I couldn't breathe. I was also feeling up to taking selfies with Snapchat filters and sending them to my family! LOL!

My cough lasted for weeks and I guess I will never really know if I had the flu or a mild case of Coronavirus.  What I do know, is that as I stated at the beginning of this article, I have never felt that bad over a cold or flu!  

I am well aware that Covid-19 is a serious virus and people are dying from this. My story is in no way diminishing the real and serious symptoms that people are going through and sadly, dying of. It is simply my experience of what I felt before the quarantine craziness started.

Now that we know more and unfortunately have seen on the news how this virus is spreading, it would be wise to heed the warnings and just stay home!!
If you or someone you know suspects they have Covid-19, go on this website to check for symptoms and/or contact your healthcare practitioner.

Remember that you can protect yourself and help prevent spreading the virus to others if you:

  • Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rub
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze
  • Avoid close contact (1 meter or 3 feet) with people who are unwell
  • Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell

And remember: Do NOT touch your eyes, nose, or mouth if your hands are not clean.



(UPDATE:  I just want to re-iterate that I cannot confirm if I actually had Covid-19.  This is only an account of my experience and what I went through early in the year with similar symptoms to the Corona virus.  This article in no way is meant to lessen the seriousness of this deadly virus.  My heart goes out to all the families who have lost loved ones to this.  PLEASE, PLEASE listen to the scientists and doctors and do your best to boost your own immune system to make yourself strong enough to withstand it, should you be plagued by the virus.  Be well!  Lissette





https://amzn.to/2V6o87K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Stopping by the Mommy Warrior blog!
Visit on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/mommywarriorpage/