Tuesday, November 25, 2008


I have to tell you that the easy part was the kidney transplant. Now comes the really hard part. There are so many things that have to be adhered to now. Sergio has to take over 15 pills daily,4 times a day, check his blood pressure, check for fever and weigh himself daily. It's not really difficult but just the discipline of it all will be a big adjustment. It's like I told him, if you think I nagged before you have no idea what you are in store for! Actually, it's going to be very difficult for me because I have to leave him. We came here just for the surgery and I miss my kids soooooo much, who stayed back home. I worry what will happen when I leave. Not that he won't do just fine without me but if you've been reading my blog long enough, you'll know I'm a control freak. I just want to make sure that he is doing what he is supposed to and doesn't over do it.

I, personally, have to be really really careful when I get home with the kids and my incisions. I still have lots of pain and am very sensitive around the four incisions. I have four, with one of them being about 5 inches long by the bikini line, where the actual kidney came out of. It's pretty amazing how advanced science is. Although I still have pain, it is incredible that I was able to get up and walk around the next day after surgery and take pictures and talk to the other couple.
I am so excited about seeing my children again. After being in the hospital and being surrounded by so many people less fortunate than me, it only makes me appreciate my family and friends that much more.

I was thinking the other night that I always KNEW that it would be ME to help him. When we first started discussing the transplant options a few years back and I was tested to see if I was a donor. I use to joke around with him that I really wanted him to have a Cuban kidney. I thought that was pretty amusing. I was pretty disappointed that I was not a direct match. When the two other donors fell through years later (actually, two years ago,) his sister and his first cousin, I just knew that somehow, I was going to be the one to help him. As Thanksgiving approaches I can honestly say I am sooooo thrilled that I had that power to do something. When my mother was diagnosed with cancer I felt so helpless. Not that this case is similar but just the feeling of being able to do something good and do something to help is empowering. I am very grateful that my children will have their father around for much longer. He knows if he doesn't take care of himself from this point on, I will kick his ass!

As I get my strength back I will slowly begin to reconstruct all the pieces that brought us to this point, of the kidney swap and I will share numerous pictures with you as well, as I documented almost every step of the way, from the moment I took off on a plane to New York to the moment I awoke in my hospital bed. Until, love, laugh and take lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Stopping by the Mommy Warrior blog