Wednesday, September 10, 2014

YOU ARE A LOSER

So yesterday my 7-year old was on the school bus and he says he looked at this girl that is our neighbor, and she says to him, "Don't look at me and don't talk to me."

And he says, "Why?" She says, "because you are a loser!" Now, I KNOW what I would do if I was 12-year's old and I confronted her, but now I am a "civilized" mature mother, who must refrain from getting involved in "kids will be kids," troubles, right?...

Sooooo, any suggestions?

I told him to never ever even think about hitting anyone, let alone a girl, but NOT to take any crap or bullying from anyone!

Geez! Why can't people just teach their kids to be nice and respect other's feelings?




7 comments:

  1. That´s a tough one! Can´t think of a "civilized" answer right now. Great job on keeping your cool in front of your kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a difficult situation to handle. I'm not a parent, but I have been a nanny in the past. The way that I would handle this is to let him know that sometimes when kids don't feel good about themselves they make fun of other kids. He just needs to remember that he is loved, and is a valuable person, and that if someone is making fun of him or making him feel insignificant, the best way to handle it is to tell an adult that you trust so that they can get to the root of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan for the insight and the great advice! :o)

      Delete
  3. Wow, it makes you wonder the life they are living at home and what their parents are teaching them. How sad. Like I've told my son, if someone says things like that, say something like "wow, you're pretty good at talking to yourself. How did you learn that?" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one Jamie! The sad part is that I know the parents and they are really nice people. I will never understand why kids have to be so mean to each other. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. G'day tough call on this one, but the best thing he can do is "simply walk away" as if he had not heard the comment and reinforce one day he will know and understand a little better why it is better not to allow a bully to mentally hurt you....
    Cheers! Joanne
    P.S. Would welcome learning what you have done!
    #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for Stopping by the Mommy Warrior blog