PINTEREST

FB PIXEL CODE

PAIN MANAGEMENT - IS CBD OIL THE ANSWER?

Summer is almost here again, which for me, lately, is not really something I look forward to.  If you have followed my blog before, you may already know that I am a brain tumor survivor. If not, well, now you know. 

As a result of the craniotomy (brain surgery) I had in 2013, I ended up with what people call "barometer head."  Basically, when the weather changes, I get thrown for a loop! "Weather changes almost always cause changes in atmospheric pressure. So, my headaches or migraines are caused by  changes in the weather, which are officially called barometric or pressure headaches or migraines. Also, because our sinuses are filled with air, any change in that pressure can affect headaches. Barometric pressure headaches tend to occur after a drop in barometric pressure.  When you first start suffering through this, it is hard to gauge when the headaches will actually occur. (NOTE: If you happen to be suffering from headaches as well, I recommend that you start a journal. Write down when you get a headache, how long it last and what weather pattern was occurring on that day (before or after your pressure headache.)

So, although I was born and raised in Florida, and I love it, these last few years have really been an adjustment. As fun as summers have always been my whole life, especially, after having kids, lately, I tend to dread this time of year. The headaches increase for me during the summer because of the rain and humidity and then my pain is compounded by flare ups of my rheumatoid arthritis symptoms. I know I sound like a mess but for the most part, I am really not. I am just in search of a way to keep things under control, especially when summer rolls around.



So, why am I writing about all this?  Although I could sit here and kvetch, what I am really looking for is recommendations and some constructive input - homeopathic, organic remedies to alleviate these symptoms. I had been reading up on something called Migraine Magic, that helps alleviate migraines by spraying yourself with a mist or using a roll-on your head and I am seriously considering ordering this, simply because I have read such great reviews on that product. However, I feel like I need something that will help me treat my overall symptoms.  Sure, I take vitamins, but when real pain hits, I need something stronger and I don't want to continue to take OTC's (over-the-counter) pain relief medicine. I have tried a lot of different supplements over the course of the last few years but I need something different and effective!

For the most part, I am a happy, healthy mom, working on my writing, my side hustle businesses and network marketing.  However, when those "mama said there'd be days like this" hit me, well, I just feel like I want to shut down the whole world! Realistically, that is not an option, so hence my willingness to try something new.  People have suggested essential oils, acupuncture, yoga and more. I know a combination of all those things would probably be helpful as well but I have been going down a different route of research lately.

A while back I ordered an Anti-Aging Cream with Apple Stem Cells from a company called Hemp Genix and I loved it! "This cream helps to prevent age related skin degradation, along with the regrowth of healthy skin cell formation." They combined 30mg of pure CBD oil to provide natural healing properties.  Now, you must be wondering what does anti-aging cream have to do with my headaches and pain symptoms?  Well, because I loved their cream so much and I got a lot of compliments when using it, I started reading about the company, which lead me to my research on hemp and CBD oil. CBD is short for Cannabidiol.

This is what I found out from their website:

"Cannabidiol called CBD for short, is derived from hemp, which is the male cannabis plant. CBD hemp oil from this plant may contain trace amounts of THC, but WON'T get you high at all. It is just one of over 85 cannabinoids presently identified in the cannabis plant and is the second most abundant cannabinoid in marijuana after THC. In hemp, however, THC is only present in trace amounts, while CBD dominates the plant’s makeup. CBD interacts with our naturally occurring systems, but is non-psychotropic, it doesn’t cause a high. This makes it a safer, less controversial alternative, while still offering significant health benefits.

CBD hemp oil is produced using high-CBD, low-THC hemp, not at all like medicinal weed items, which are typically produced using plants with high groupings of psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Since hemp contains just follow measures of THC, these hemp oil items are non-psychoactive."

So, why do I think CBD oil might help me?  My research online has lead me to many articles but basically, what I learned is that "CBD may prevent the body from metabolizing anandamide. This is a compound associated with pain regulation." And regulating my pain is most certainly something I need! Maintaining high levels of anandamides in your bloodstream, may reduce feelings of pain and also, CBD is known to limit inflammation within the body, which may also help reduce pain and other immune-system responses, like for people who have rheumatoid arthritis or other auto-immune diseases. 





According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), cannabis has been used for nearly 3,000 years in alternative medicine. Some of these uses include the management of pain, neurological symptoms, and inflammation. 

So the other day I was doing all this research on CBD oils and other options to find pain relief and my teenager overhears me discussing it with a family member and later tells me, "Yea Mom, you should try smoking pot. Try it." (as she laughs,) She tells me a lot of people she knows are "vaping."  (Geez, now I need to go do more research! LOL!)

Now, while I don't care if other people smoke pot, this is definitely not something I want my kid doing (smoking pot or weed or whatever the correct terminology is,) this is simply about me finding an alternative method to manage the pain when it hits me. Actually, I would prefer before it hits me!

I have certainly learned a lot in my research about CBD oils and hemp.  Vaping CBD oil is one of the preferred methods to ease side effects for many people who suffer from things like all types of cancers, stress, anxiety, joint pain, seizures, inflammation, sleep-apnea, high blood pressure and the list goes on.

I was curious...

How I should use CBD oil if I opted for this method. 


What I learned is that CBD oil is taken via vaping or ingestion. Oral CBD is less likely to cause side effects, so as a beginner I may want to start here. You can put a few drops of the oil under your tongue, or you can  take CBD capsules, or even eat a CBD-infused treat.  

Next question...

Will I get high from CBD oil?   

 

CBD oils are made from marijuana, but they don’t always contain tetrahydrocannabinol
(THC). THC is the component that makes users feel “high” or “stoned” when smoking cannabis. Conclusion is, CBD oil doesn’t have psychoactive properties.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Now, in all seriousness, if you are reading this and can relate or if you have tried an alternative method for pain management, especially CBD oils, I'd love to hear about it.  Any recommendations, suggestions. (Serious comments only please.)

Thanks for joining me on my journey (quest) to find pain relief!




Sources:

Hemp Genix
Healthline 
Made by Hemp
CBD Oil Review



FYI - CBD does not cause a high, unlike THC. The reason why CBD is non-psychoactive is due to its lack of affinity for CB1 receptors. CB1 receptors are found in high concentrations in the brain, and are the pathways responsible for the psychoactive effects of THC.





cbd for pets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Stopping by the Mommy Warrior blog!
Visit on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/mommywarriorpage/