PINTEREST

FB PIXEL CODE

CHEERS TO SWEET BEGINNINGS: Remembering What Really Matters

A Sweet New Beginning, an invitation to pause and look back at the year we’ve lived so far, the beautiful moments, the difficult ones, the mistakes, the lessons, the people who loved us, left us, the people we may need to forgive, and perhaps even the parts of ourselves we need to forgive too.

And then we get to ask ourselves: Who do I want to be moving forward?  Not who was I supposed to be. Not what should I have accomplished by now. Not how perfectly did I get everything right.

Just what do I want to carry with me, and what am I finally ready to leave behind. That’s one of the things most relatable to me about Rosh Hashanah.

I have never been a fan of religion, but I do love good traditions that make sense and are rooted in love, kindness and making things in the world better, somehow.

Traditionally, on this "sweet" holiday, it is customary to eat apples dipped in honey to symbolize the hope for a sweet year ahead, a simple tradition because a sweet life doesn’t necessarily mean a life without difficult days.

Families who celebrate Rosh Hashana, gather with loved ones and friends to share special meals, and traditionally eat apples dipped in honey as a symbol of wishing for a sweet new year.

You may also hear the sound of the shofar, an ancient instrument made from a ram’s horn. Its powerful sound is traditionally meant to "wake us up," not necessarily from sleep, but to remind us to pay attention to how we’re living and what really matters.

At its heart, Rosh Hashanah is about something pretty universal:

Reflection. Gratitude. Renewal. Forgiveness. Family. Hope. And the opportunity to begin again. 

And honestly, no matter what you believe, I think we could all use a little more of that.

Independent of holidays, religious or not, let this also be a good time to be reminded that so many people carry struggles we may never see, and that checking in, listening, showing kindness and simply being there for someone can matter more than we realize. And September 11 will forever ask us to pause and remember the thousands of lives lost, the families forever changed, and the humanity and compassion that emerged during an unimaginably painful time in our country.

Maybe sweetness is recognizing the good while we’re living it; being grateful for the people around our table or choosing kindness when we can. Making peace where peace is possible. Loving a little harder. Laughing a little louder. And remembering that as long as we’re here, we still have the opportunity to begin again.

Whatever your faith or beliefs may be, I think that’s something we can all understand. Maybe that’s why the message of Rosh Hashanah feels meaningful.

Things we can all do: Look back. Remember. Be grateful. Make amends where you can. Love people while they’re here. Reach for the person who may need a hand. And don’t take this beautiful, complicated life for granted.

A sweet new year doesn’t mean pretending life is always sweet. It means carrying the lessons, the love, and even the losses of yesterday with us and choosing to make whatever time we’re given ahead a little more meaningful.

So, my hope is simple:

  • May we carry forward what made us stronger.
  • May we release what has made us heavy.
  • May we appreciate the ordinary moments that someday we’ll realize weren’t ordinary at all! (this one especially!)

And may the months and year ahead bring more love, peace, health, laughter, connection and plenty of sweetness to all! L'Shana Tova.

Every single day is a chance to start again, make a difference and focus on what really matters. Cheers to sweet beginnings. ~LR




(Affiliate link ad)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for Stopping by the Mommy Warrior blog!
Visit on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/mommywarriorpage/